Saturday, June 8, 2013

Things I'll Miss Most


Again, in no particular order.

Being disconnected. There are (plenty of times) when not having a reliable phone network or constant Internet access is a hassle, but for the most part, I’ve really enjoyed not feeling the need to check my cell phone every five minutes, to see what the latest and greatest (and not the least bit important) on facebook is, or to be constantly hearing about whatever the daily tragedy is that the media is harping on.

The food. Papayas never topped my favorite fruits list, but that was probably because they were the grocery store variety, and not fresh picked from the tree. Add to papayas, mangoes, fresh picked salad with garden grown lemon dressing, injera, sambusa, shiro, fresh made chapatti, asa (fish) lebleb, ful, red beef curry and so many others, and I know I’ll spend just as much time drooling over the good stuff here once I’m home as I have drooling over things I miss from home here.

The views, I’m writing this while sitting in a hammock at 6:30, watching the clouds and the light shift in preparation for another incredible sunset. I’ve started taking walks down to the next village in the morning, and I never stop being amazed at how beautiful this place is.  It’s only convinced me more that I need to end up living in the mountains.

The people.  One of my favorite parts of traveling is meeting people from all over, and my time in Ethiopia has been no exception. I’m lucky to get to spend every day working with such delightful people, and as much as I get frustrated with the constant stares and yells, I love the grins and handshakes from the kids as I walk by. I’ve also been beyond lucky to encounter more than my fair share of interesting, intelligent, genuinely kind good-hearted foreigners, all with stories to share, many of whom have helped in making the touristing here so much more enjoyable.

The work. After eight hours of serious activity, the first thing on my mind is a shower (with temperatures nearing luke-warm if it’s a good day), and the second is how long until dinner. I’m asleep by ten at the latest every night, and I love it. There’s something wonderfully honest about being able to see visible results after hard day’s work.

3 comments:

  1. And there will be other things that you don't realize yet that you will miss. But we are looking forward to seeing you soon!
    Love,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not many mountains on the U.S. mainland where you can grow lemons and papayas, but we'll see what other magical fruits we can add to your favorites list!

    Your attitude is wonderful! Glad you're my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it strange how we yearn for what isn't available? If you find a good recipe for ful, we'd like to try it. Fresh-picked tropical fruit sounds heavenly. I wish it was mandatory that all high school or college students spend a year abroad - we need more global-minded citizens.

    ReplyDelete