Thursday, June 6, 2013

Things I'm Looking Forward to Most


In no particular order.

Clean, running water. It tops my list of things that I take for granted back home- there’s hardly ever a time or place that I don’t have access to drinkable water, while here I am never confident that one little sip of water I haven’t purchased in a bottle or personally filtered won’t earn me another party with the dysentery fairy. And let’s not even talk about showers right now.

Fooooooood. Not just any food though. I spend more time than I should admit contemplating what my ideal first meal back in the States will be. Currently it involves water straight out of the tap, a Chipotle burrito, garden fresh strawberries and snow peas, topped off with Hagen Dazs peanut butter chocolate ice cream, with a side of Trader Joe’s salted dark chocolate covered almonds. If that doesn’t happen, I have several contingency plans as well.  Basically, if it involves chocolate or needs refrigeration, it hasn’t crossed my lips in months.

Being a face in the crowd again. If you’ve read many of my posts, you’ve probably picked up on the fact that I get stared at and yelled at any time I step outside. It’s been one of the harder things for me to adjust to, and I’m looking forward to walking down any street and blending right in.

Exercise for funsies. It’s a toss up whether I’m looking forward to going on a quick run to the community college, on a bike ride to Sandy Point State Park, or on a hike through Patapsco more. Even though I work outside all day every day right now, I can’t wait to go just for the sake of going.

Seeing the fam-bamily again. As my uncle Chuck says, “I’m so lucky to be related to all of my favorite people.” Saying that this trip would have been a complete disaster without the love and support and rescuing that they gave me is a serious understatement, and I look forward to spending time telling stories and catching up when I get back home.

3 comments:

  1. I for one am so happy that you went to Ethiopia! And learned so many interesting things. (Both good and not.) I am very much looking forward to sitting around the table and hearing your stories first hand!

    Love you!
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life without chocolate...that would be hard. But always having to monitor what you drink - that would be hardest. Not having a shower would be a close second. Enjoy them all when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing your stories so much that I drove to Alexandria to pay for your ticket, since they wouldn't accept my credit card for your travel unless they saw me personally.

    None of your wishes are too difficult. I'm not sure about Chipotle at 8:30 AM, but maybe for lunch?

    Love you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete